December is upon us and there is so much to discuss. As if we need more to do during the holiday season we are planning two quilt shows and finishing a charity quilt for QuiltCon. So, let’s get into our meeting notes:
1. We will start with Stitch Modern. It’s kind of a big deal;) This will be our second annual quilt show that is held at the Piedmont Center for the Arts. The quilts will hang from January 29 to February 25. While I don’t have all the details about submissions, here a few things to know:
- To submit a quilt you must have attended at least one meeting.
- The submission fee is $30 we take Pay Pal or checks can be made out to Birgit Hottenrott.
- There is no size requirements, but quilts larger than 42″ should have a sleeve and rod (a wooden dowel would work fine). If you plan on having the quilt in the San Francisco guild you should plan on putting a sleeve on your quilt regardless of size.
- The deadline for submission is January 5, 2013.
- Birgit will be posting a Google doc that can be e-mailed to her. You can also post your submission on our Stitch Modern Flikr group. Be sure to label your picture Stitch Modern 2013.
We are also looking for people to help us plan events during the show. We have a Family Day being planned and we are open to any suggestions. We will also need help planning our Opening Reception so please contact Birgit if you would like to help. To receive more information on the show please sign up for our e-mail list located on the right hand side of the screen.
2. The San Francisco Quilters Guild is given us space for a exhibit at their big Quilt Show in March. Our plan is to use the same quilts from the Stitch Modern show. Stay tuned for volunteer opportunities.
3. We saw the blocks for our quilt we will be making for the Austin’s Children Shelter. This is part of a massive charity event held by The Modern Quilt Guild in conjunction with QuiltCon. From their page
“As a way of giving something back to QuiltCon’s host city of Austin, Texas, we’re going to use the blocks that aren’t selected for [the challnege] to make quilts for each of the 46 beds at the Austin Children’s Shelter. This will be MQG’s first large-scale charity project and we look forward to both using the many beautiful blocks we received for the challenge and getting as many guilds as possible involved in the process! Participating guilds will receive a package of 7 or more blocks (much like the groups of blocks being shown in these blog posts) to expand into a 68″ X 88″ Twin bed quilt. This can be accomplished by adding blocks, adding negative space, or some combination of the two. The quilts will need to be machine quilted, bound, washed, and shipped to Austin in advance of QuiltCon. MQG will also be interested in hearing about each guild’s process and will feature the completed quilts in a series of blog posts in Spring 2013.”
Dan Rouse has been kind enough to head up this project. He received our packet of quilt blocks. Our plan was to add onto the log cabin blocks to create 12 23″ square blocks. Terri Fox will be assembling the quilt front so any blocks should be either mailed to Terry or dropped off at New Pieces by Jan 4 . I (Lauren) will be putting the backing together. Stacey Sharman has agreed to the quilting. Dan will be taking care of the binding and hanging sleeve. The quilt must be returned by February 1 and the quilt will be on display at QuiltCon along with the other guild’s quilts.
4. Our next sew days will be January 19 (10 -1), February 16 (10-1) and March 16 (2-5). Come join us at the North Berkeley Library for a few hours of sewing bliss:)
5. Apparently our logo is breaking some MQG rule. We are not sure which rule or where the rule exists, but we were told we were breaking it. Joel Ignacio has been working on some new logos and we will be voting soon on what our new EBMQG logo will be.
6. If you have a blog, we want to know about it. Contact Stacey Sharman on how to get on our networked blogs.
7. We will not be having a December meeting since it will collides with the holidays. Our January meeting will be at the Piedmont Center for the arts to hang the Stitch Modern Show. Same time 6:30…Happy Holidays and I hope to see you in January.
4 thoughts on “November Meeting Notes”
Is the February Sew Day on Feb 16, 2013?
OOOPS! I will fix that. but the sew date is on the 16.
Um, I need the blocks by January 4 for the charity project! Thanks!
I will fix that, my apologies.