Sew, we had a lot of stuff to go over in this last meeting. I hope I got it all..let me know if I didn’t.
1. Our sew date went great:) The North Berkeley library is well lit and the staff is friendly. We hope everyone can join us for the next one on August 25 from 2-5. The only complaint I have heard was that there wasn’t enough time!!
2. Deanna Davis (one of our prestigious members) is the President of the East Bay Heritage quilters and she has invited us (and anyone who is interested) to come to the Heritage Quilter’s Modern Quilting Meetup September 13, October 11, November 8, and December 13 (or the 2nd Thursday of each month. The meetings are 6:30 PM – 9 PM at the Albany Methodist Church, 980 Stannage Ave. Albany (at Marin Ave). The description:
Join us for an evening of quilting inspiration, Tricks & Tips and creative fun. Work space available. Light supper provided by EBHQ members. Bring a quilt to Show & Tell. $5 at the door or EBHQ members free. BRING A FRIEND!
For more information visit the Heritage Guild page (or check out our Google group).
3. There is talk about having a Sherri Lyn Woods workshop at New Pieces for our guild members. Please checkout the Facebook page or Google group to let us know what you would like to do. It would be a one to two day class for about $75 per person/per day. The dates would be in September or October.
4. Stitch Modern is coming back!! Our annual event will be taking place at the Piedmont Center for the Arts from January 30 – February 24, 2012. We are looking to expand a little from last year and need ideas to promote the show in the community. We briefly discussed doing postcards to sell and having a sale day. This would help members who are trying to fund QuiltCon. Please contact Birgit if you have any ideas (or check out our Google group).
5. The Quilt San Francisco: Evolution of an Art Form show will be taking place March 9-10 at the San Francisco Design Center. We will be a special exhibit!!! We will be working in partnership with the San Fransisco Quilters Guild to create a layout, participate in promoting (including a table at the show with items of our choice to display/sell), and installing/breaking down our exhibit. We would also like people to consider being “mini docents” to walk people through and talk about our guild and the quilts…kind of exciting! For any questions please contact Allison (or check out our Google group).
6. QUILTCON…need I say more….I will. QuiltCon is coming and many of our guild members are deciding whether to go or not. The cost is high, but the experience will be amazing:) A few things to help defray costs, our guild (or those members who will be going) can get a sponsorship package for $75 which would give the guild members a 10% discount on workshop/conference registration. This decision needs to be made by August 15 for those who need the discount on registration day (August 30). Another option is fundraising. Birgit mentioned gofundme.com where you can ask people for help to raise money for the trip. Please let us know via our Google group if you have any other fundraising/cost saving ideas.
7. Have I mentioned we have a Google group:) The Google Group is not being utilized as it should. We highly encourage members to join (use this link). Facebook has become difficult since timeline happened and members have good info that they are having trouble sharing.
I think that covers it. On a personal note, my son, Radek, presented his first quilt to the guild and I could not have been more proud. He may not become an avid quilter but I love that he is open to the creative process. He also really enjoys attention so having everyone’s eyes on him made his day!
Joel will post photos of the meeting soon, A big THANK YOU! to Joel for doing that:)
One thought on “July Meeting – A lot went on…”
Whew! Sounds like a busy meeting! I’ve added the dates you mentioned above to our new Bay Area Modern Quilting calendar, which lists ALL the Modern guild events as well as other Bay Area quilt-related happenings. Check it out here: https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=djfp9fu1srdhjebf6hp8enh4q4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles